mandag 13. februar 2017

Half frames and engine things...

Finally, we're on our way to sea. Or, we are of course at sea, but really out to sea I mean. Like middle way between the UK and Norway, to be a bit more precise. We are going to do some very short survey work to prepare for the next piece of work a little later in the week. Out to do the survey, then back in to Scrabster far north in Scotland to have a very short crew change in the middle of the night, and then off we go to do the rest of the work. Sounds easy, actually. And maybe it is, for what I know. I'm not too sure about what's going on down at the seabed anyway, but somebody on board will certainly know. My job is only to maintain power to make it all happen, and things are looking good in that respect as it usually is.

I bet you've never seen this one before? It's probably from some time last summer, but I don't think I posted any results from the tiny little plasticy Diana Mini camera I had coming my way about a year ago or so? Anyway, here's one. Half-frame and what else could not be said about it. It's the kind of thing you can choose between two formats. 36x36mm or 24x36mm. Cool, huh? Just one thing: If sharp negs are your style, this is nothing for you! It's totally impossible to even get the tiniest detail to stuck sharply on film inside this lovely little box. And yes, it leaks of course. And the shutter release button is a nightmare. Lots of fun inside a small box, in other words.

Yesterday was another day we really had to work hard for the money. Up at 5.30 in the morning to be at work 6 o'clock. Non-stop flat out until 1am before I could throw myself to bed, which I did. Today seems to be a lot better, as we are at sea. Everything just falls into routine work then, which is very much to prefere. 

This is something I extracted from a film exposed inside one of the Nikon's, I think. It's from the lovely city of Bergen, as some of you might have guessed already. Not very lucky with the exposure of this frame, but I'm used to that.

I snapped the daily one, though! At least I seem to have come into that routine, at least. Nothing you will jump through the roof about, of course, but that has probably never been the point of doing 365 projects either, I guess. What's pretty obvious is that the ones snapped during my periods of work will probably be on the extremely boring side. I'll try to be creative, but I must say I find that a bit hard. And it will only get worse, probably. You will, most likely, think you've seen the same snaps a hundred times before. But heck, I'll try!

There might be some of this sorts during the 365 project. Some hydraulic powerpacks this is, making this huge pile of steel able to steer wherever we like it to. Two similar units on each side of the vessel, a total of four steering powerpacks. Should be safe enough then, I think. As this is a DP Class 3 vessel there are rules telling how it should be built. There are so much stuff on this vessel that you would think we could perfectly well do with 1/4th of the equipment. And yes, that's absolutely right. Still, we need backups and backups of the backups... and that's why stuff seems to be piling up over here. It's kind of cool, though. 

I have briefly started to put together a plan to get my films developed when I get home. There will be chemicals needed, I think, so I need to get an order for some fix and developer put together soon. I think I'm starting to get a bit short on fix.
I would also need to stock up on some paper at some point, but I think I will manage for some time yet. The hope is to get abroad this summer anyway, and prefereably over to old England where paper is a lot cheaper than back home. Then I might be able to save some money. At least if I buy a nice little bunch of it. We'll see, but that might be the plan I'll go for.
Other than that, I'm fine, thank you.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Definitely kind of cool seeing all that metalwork, Roy. Always good to see the insides of these vessels as well as the outsides - a view most of us never have, y'know. Hope you don't have too many days like that one, though - that's a lot of hours on the go.

    So...you're going to do some smuggling of paper, eh? I do the same, with film, every time I go to the Wild West to visit The Brother. Hard to understand why Ilford film (made in UK) is about 30% cheaper in the States than here. Well it was, before the £ went south after Brexit. Maybe things are about the same now. Not sure I even want to test the US immigration people for a while, though - they are pretty tough people to deal with at the best of times, under Trump things seem to have a got a whole lot worse in that department.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Ah, the old troublesome ways to get into the land of fortune. I should know, having been over there to work quite a few times. I certainly would not hold my breath in hope for a smoother and easier passage these days. Planned import rules will probably do something about the price tag of the Ilford stuff over there as well, should we believe what we hear. If that's not fake news, of course?!
      And yes, I will throw a couple of boxes of paper inside the bag before I get home from old England next time I'm there. And I don't even think I will feel too bad about it, to be honest. After all it's just paper I would never buy from back home, only extras to support Ilford directly :)
      Maybe even a trip eastwards to check out a few street markets would have been a bit fun some day? Just shout out if you're ready for a raid!

      Slett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime