lørdag 26. november 2016

Pushed film

It's usually a nice feeling when you think you actually have learned something, or at least feel like you have moved a step further into something you have been struggling with for some time. I think, for me, pushing film has been something I have had some trouble with earlier. I might still have, mind you, but still I feel like having taken a short leap forward into that area lately. My earlier attempts has been half hearted and inconsistent, but the last few films seem to be more in the line of how I like the end results to appear.
So, what's the secret for me then, you might ask? Truth is that it's nothing big. A small adjustment during the exposure itself (to really try to stay on the slightly overexposed side) when I realize the light is a bit tricky, and finally by adding some time for the film to stay in the developer. In this case  I added around 10% on the suggested time, which seems to be about right. That's to my eyes and my likes, of course. Other people probably have different meanings and ways to do it. And probably quite a few also like their negatives to look nothing like I prefere, which is of course absolutely fine.


Ona a few days ago. I usually take the trip up here at least one time each day, to the lighthouse on the top of the hill. This is looking down from there through a 50mm lens and a Nikon F3. Ilford PAN400 film pushed to 1600 ASA, developed in D-76 (stock).

It's been terrible weather all day over here. Rain in the non-stop kind of way, just as we are too used to see around this time of year. A tiny bit better now late in the evening, but my guess is that it's all just taking a deep breath just to come battering back quite soon. 
Tomorrow I got a few loose plans. Scanning the rest of the few films developed yesterday, and a couple of more things inside the house. It's probably best to keep oneself dry and warm indoors, I guess. 


Walking down from the lighthouse you have to pass this natural formation. The wind can really get some good speed through this narrow gap. Looks more like a venturi thing, actually, and sometimes you can actually feel something reminding you of the effect a Venturi nozzle will create through here when the wind is in the right direction. Ilford PAN400 @ 1600 ASA again. Nikon F3, 50mm Nikkor.

I just started to wright a review of the nice Nikon FM2 the other day. I might continue and finish that one off as well, since it's probably going to be a perfect day to do things like that.
The long term plan was to wright a few lines about the cameras I use, and maybe on a few of the lenses as well at some point. I did the Nikon F3 not too long ago. You can find the few thoughts I have about the beast over here somewhere.
I also did start a draft on a post a long time ago on some darkroom stuff. I might even pull that one out from it's hiding place as well one day. I don't know if it will be worth posting, but you never know. Depends a bit what people are looking for, I guess. It's not going to be deep stuff coming from this head, as you know. I tend to do things a bit easy and not very scientific, as you know from earlier. 

3 kommentarer:

  1. Great results from 1600asa Roy...looks good to my old eyes, anyway.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanks mate! At least it's not the worst results I have achieved when trying to push my luck a bit towards the tight side of things. I just have to keep on trying, I guess. What we know for sure is that you will not get any better unless you are willing to waste some film... which I seem to keep on doing all the time :))

      Slett
  2. I need to waste more film, I really do. I'm going to write about that - in the usual place. See you there!

    SvarSlett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime