lørdag 3. november 2018

It's late, again

It's late Friday evening. Soon the last weekend on board the ship is gone, and I have to get my stuff together and leave for home. It's a lovely thought to just hang on to for a few moments.
The last few days of a trip is more or less only routine work you need to get done to make life a bit easier for my back to back. He who is soon about to pack his bag and leave his nice little home out there on one of the many Faroe isles and head south. Good luck with that, may I say.

Somewhere in Scotland a few years back. Seems like a little lifetime ago sitting on board the vessel over here in Brazilian waters. I would rather be up there, walking the abandoned country roads, camera in hand talking to stray sheepdogs and snapping outbuildings like this one. Different surroundings, very different people. And different dogs too, just saying.

I checked the fridge in my cabin earlier this evening. Only two rolls left of 135 format Ilford FP4+ in there. I will probably load up one of the rangefinders for the trip home, leaving only one roll left in there. Looks like I need to bring a few rolls next time then. 
There were plenty of 120 format film hidden in there however, so I loaded up the Diana F+ with a roll of some 400 ASA Rollei film I got a while ago and walked down to shoot a couple of snaps in the engine control room. I'll save the rest of the frames on the roll for the next couple of days. See if I can find something half interesting on the bridge or somewhere. Maybe on deck, or in the ROV control room. There's probably always something happening to waste some film on, somewhere. Even out here.
I very rarely use Rollei film for some reason. Never really got the hang of the developing side of that stuff. I brought with me a slow roll of it when snapping a set of wedding pictures not too long ago. I mean what in the world was I thinking? Luckily I also had a couple of rolls of FP4 in the bag, which sort of saved my back end of course. Sometimes you would be far better off by attaching your brains to the rest of your body before leaving home, actually. 

Here they are, the happy couple. Snapped on the english film, not the Rollei Retro thing. Done with the huge Mamiya camera and everything. Not the best of light conditions under these trees, mind you, but they got what they wanted even though I should have taken a couple of extras just in case. But they will be happy with the prints anyway. I promise!

I'll leave you all to it. You're probably asleep anyway, most of you.
And if not, at least I'm sleeping quite soon, by the feel of this aging body. 
Take care!

3 kommentarer:

  1. The Faroe Islands look like an interesting place to spend a photo holiday. When your ship comes into a port, how long do you get to do some sightseeing, make photos, etc.?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi Marcus, and thanks for your comment.
      The Faroe Islands is on my list of places to visit, for sure. It will not happen this year, and maybe not the next either, but it's on my list nevertheless :)
      Will not get any time at all for any sightseeing I'm afraid. No photos, and no sights to see. That's on a normal crew change, of course. Then you got the not so normal ones that happens every now and then, which means we may have to stay a bit longer for one reason or another. Then I might get the chance. We will see. I can't do anything else but hope it may happen one day over here. I can stay longer of course, still with a free ticket home, but after seven weeks away from home I can assure you it's nothing else I want but go home.
      I might have to travel a day early when getting back to work the next time, due to some Visa stuff over at the local police station. I might get some time then, but we will have to wait and see.

      Slett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime