søndag 11. desember 2016

Finally some quiet days

We have been doing maintenance on the ship, as you might know by now. 
We went over here to get it done, at the yard in Rubbestadneset, Bømlo, Norway. That's the island where my company keep their office and center of business as well, but still there was no time at all to pay them a visit. A tiny wee hours drive I think, from Rubbestadneset to the small town of Langevåg where the office is located. 
I have stayed with this company for over 15 years now, but have never had the chance to drop by the office any time. And with this location you can't possibly blame me either, as it's very far away from anywhere I usually will travel in my time off. 
Anyway, the ship is now laid up for a few weeks not too far from the yard in Rubbestadneset. The place is called Fitjar, and we are at a small quay about 2 miles away from the small village. It's nothing here at all, and this is where we will celebrate christmas this year. In the middle of a quarry, as it happens. I have seen better locations, to be honest, but I guess it's still going to be fine. I am at work, and there's nothing I can do to change that. 
Still I might get the chance to get away from the ship and get myself down south to visit the folks at the office. I don't know if that's something they would expect me to do or anything, but I could of course make up some reason for myself to drop by. 

Continuing the series of scanned slide positives from the mid 90's we come to this little nice one of the brother and sister, partners in crime, looking for nice stones to throw around and into the sea. Hopefully into the sea at least, as I seem to remember some lack in the skills of aiming well back in the days. Color stuff is not my cup of tea, as you probably know by now. Still there might be a few posts with stuff like this. Things from back in the days then, probably, as I have stopped doing color, more or less. This might be Ektachrome or something similar. I'm absolutely sure about the camera used though. The same Nikon FM2 I got right here on the table inside my cabin on board right now.

I went out yesterday. Had a little stroll around the area to see if it might be worth to waste some film around here. I think I might do that again some other day. I snapped a few snaps, but the light was a bit on the dodgy side. 
The apprentice on board is also a photographer, or at least he seems to be very interested in the matters and also brought his own camera for this trip. We might even join forces to see if anything great might come out of it for the benefit of the both of us. You never quite know until you've tried.

She's clearly getting the hang of it, the sister. Stones flying in the right direction and everything, which is a nice thing. The brother seems to keep a little bit of distance to it all, but he would be better off standing a bit further away I think. 

So, that's about it then. 
I brought a couple of old Nikon's this time. The old FM2 (out of where the snaps posted today originated quite a few years ago) and one of the somewhat battered F3's. Looks like I have them loaded with Ilford HP5+ and some Ilford PAN 400 at the moment. The old ISO is cranked up to 1600 on both films just for the heck of it. The light is a bit on the less side these days up north, so that might pass as an excuse to do some pushing. I think I mostly brought HP5+ and PAN 400 this time. Maybe there's a roll or two of FP4+ as well somewhere inside my bag. I have not done any deep dives into it yet, so I'm a bit in doubt around what's in there to find. 
Oh, and I brought an electronically controlled battery digisnapping thing as well. A Fujifilm X-pro 1 by the look of the wording on top of the machine. I brought that one out yesterday as well, but around midways of my tour around the area the battery suddenly went all dead. Of course... 
It has not been charged in ages, so that might be the reason. 
I think the apprentice wanted to have a look at the thing, as he's planning to buy himself a new camera soon. His newish Sony DSLR seems to getting very close to it's end of lifetime. All sorts of bits and pieces is falling off, and the screen on the back side of the thing is no longer working. Looks more like my own cameras actually, but with the minor difference that these electronic versions will never work at all if something breaks inside them. Mechanical film cameras will normally carry on, although with some more or less serious kind of twist. 

A study of style. Seemed to be a nice day for some throwing of stones that day. 

I guess I will keep you updated and informed about what's happening over here in this small part of the world in the days to come.
Until then; stay safe and sound, all of you!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime