fredag 12. april 2019

Watch this wonderful thing!

See? It's the stairs inside the old lighthouse keepers house out on the island. It's been posted around this place before I think, but having a look at it again can only do you good, so here you are thank you very much. 



I think it must be the best snap of any stairs I ever snapped! Not that I have that many of them under my belt as such, but anyway. 
It was done using the huge and clunky old Mamiya RZ, and after passing through the 110mm lens the light disturbed some silver halides on a tiny piece of 120 size FP4+ film from Ilford and here's the result of that magic. You can't go wrong with a setup like that as long as you just manage to let enough light onto that little piece of film. The shutter could have stayed open twice as long of course, but then there would be issues with some other stuff, so I left it be right where it was and had the deed done. 
Had there been any dead ones around they would probably still be awake of course, as the mirror flip-flap on this thing is on the extreme side. 
Everything went well though, and off we went. 

Oh yes, I got it printed as well. On both Art 300 and some lovely warm tone Ilford paper. Looks great, no kidding! 
One of the mentioned prints, the one on the Art300 paper, would have showed up on this snap had this snap been taken today, if you see what I mean... OK, it's twisting my brains a bit, so I leave it right there. The relativity theory thing has never really been my force in life!

4 kommentarer:

  1. Wonderful photograph. It reminds me of pictures from the early 1900s, which is one of my favourite photographic eras.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanks, Marcus.
      It's like time stood still inside this house. The lighthouse itself was built over 150 years ago (1867) and this house was built at the same time. Most of the building is still from that era, and the stairs as well, of course.

      Slett
  2. I agree with Mr Peddle - lovely snap, Roy. It's got a real nice bit of light caught on that beautiful old wood. I think it's safe to say you nailed the exposure - please don't tell me you just guessed it, as that would depress me. It's so very very far from the Sunny-16 exposure that I would be lost - 8 stops lower? I have no idea...

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanks, Michael.
      Well I don't know if I can say I really nailed it, but maybe quite close actually. And yes, I'm sorry to say it was a clean guess, more or less as usual. Typical 1/30 @ f/2.8 with FP4+ film, I would think. And then you'll most likely find it a tad underexposed in the end, so go for 1/15 instead and find something sturdy to put that machine on the top of :) So yes, 7-8 stops sounds like bang on in the middle of the area I went.
      This must have been plain luck, I guess.

      Slett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime