onsdag 10. april 2019

New cameras? Nah... don't think so!? Not today!

I was actually way too close to becoming the new owner of two old cameras today. One of them just because I have been thinking about getting a camera for parts at some point for my Mamiya RZ67 cameras I got laying around the house. The other one would more or less be had for pure nostalgic reasons, a Pentax Spotmatic. A lovely black painted one, as it happens. The Mamiya RZ seemed to be at the right price more or less, but the Spotmatic probably way beyond what it's actually worth. The thing is you will never know until you got it and have used it for a while. That's just the way it is with old cameras, and why it sometimes might not be the best idea to jump on the wagon and throw your hard earned cash around like a drunken sailor or something. 
I didn't buy any of them, at least not today... and there are in fact multiple reasons for just that, where the biggest one probably is the fact that I should rather get rid of a few cameras instead of dragging even more of them things inside the house. I got more than enough of them for lifetimes to come, and space is a bit limited and will continue to be so in the foreseeable future. 
I really want that spare parts camera for the RZ system, but knowing myself I can also see me receiving the thing in the mail and before you can say "screwdriver" I'm deep into a process where the end product is a lot closer to a fixed and repaired No.4 Mamiya RZ instead of a bunch of spare parts for my working cameras should one of them go bonkers. 
Nah... the cheapest way to do this is actually selling one of the three I got and use the two others until one of them fails, then use that one for parts and live happily ever after. There is no reason to get another one at all, and somewhere deep inside me I know that's the right thing to do.

Another small piece of the Fairy Glen snapped from the very point where I came out of the small woods from where I posted a snap in an earlier post. This is more like it, I guess you're saying to yourselves while nodding very lightly. A proper Glenscape it is, sort of.

What about the Spotmatic then, you might naturally wonder? I don't know yet, to be honest. There are two or three reasons why I'd like to have that one. First of all it's sporting a damn fine 50 mm lens in those pictures in the ad. Second I have been looking around for a M42 camera for a while, but should ideally have got one a few years back before "everyone" started to buy all sorts of M42 lenses on the market. The prices seem to be a bit different these days if you compare them to what they were when I first started to think about this. Third reason would be the nostalgic part of it, plus the way the thing looks. I mean it's one of the better looking cameras ever built, and this particular example are just up there at the very top! 
If I stick my finger well into the ground though and actually think about the matter using most of the good parts of my brain at once, I can easily see that I don't need this one either. I got a bunch of cameras doing exactly the same thing as this one would, and most likely they do it at least just as good as this old Spotmatic. They will not do it in the same style and with the same aura involved of course, but the end product will be no much different to anything else I'm able to produce today. 
That's the cold facts, but then again I sometimes just can't help myself making decisions a bit on the side of myself. 
On another sort of note I can't save them all either, and I might just as well get a 100 pack of 8x10 beautiful FB darkroom paper instead. 

This has nothing to do with the previous snap whatsoever, besides it's taken somewhere in Scotland probably. At least it was found on the same film in between some other snaps from over there. I got no idea at all where it is to be honest, but I remember stopping and at the same time doing this underexposure. 

We are still moving around this same part of the blue sea in rather straight lines, putting strange looking yellow computerized boxy things down to the sea bed using hefty remotely controlled and operated submarines to get the deed done. Then after a few days another vessel will be trotting over the same spot with air cannons blowing holes in the sea, and the sound waves from them things will at some point reach the bottom to knock more or less gently onto the face of the sea bed, and further travel far in towards the core of mother earth herself, and for each new layer of rock and stuff the sound wave hits some of the sound will return back towards the surrounding sea. Eventually after some time it hopefully will hit one of them yellow things and get picked up by fancy measuring cells or whatever lives inside them boxes. Then after a few days or weeks the subs will pick them things up and carry them gently on board our nice mother vessel for the data inside them to get downloaded onto some rather proper hard drive. The batteries inside the yellow things will then get charged, and over board they go again. We got thousands of them, apparently. 
Well, it's work... although ever so tedious. And nope, it's not very interesting at all since all we see would be yellow square boxes and the submarines. All the fancy information they dig out of the memory sticks or hole cards or whatever they store the data on will be sent directly to Houston of course. That's where the inside of Pandoras box will be revealed and someone will have a look at whatever information we managed to pick up from the bottom, well over 2000 meters below us. 
Just as well probably, as we simple sailors would not understand one bit of the stuff anyway. Not that I would care much either to be honest. I mean when you got the sort of money to take digital snaps of the sea bed and beyond, why do it in the absolutely most expensive way you could ever think of and in addition end up with a print most people would not understand a thing of anyway? 
Now you can very well sleep on that question, my friends...
See ya!


5 kommentarer:

  1. The first photo looks like something out of Dr. Suess. Quite unusual. The landscape in the second photo looks foreboding, except for the modern cars on the road.
    I usually buy new cameras because I think it will allow me to do something my older cameras couldn't. For example, I wanted the Nikon D810 because it has 5:4 format and it was full-frame. Unlike the Nikon D300 I had before it. Then I bought the Fujifilm X-T3 after a trip to Canada because travelling with the large Nikon and zoom was not much fun. Also, the Fuji camera produces lovely colours. In addition to 'regular' camera format, it has 1:1 and 16:9 formats. But not 5:4 format, unfortunately. 5:4 is my favourite. The Fujifilm medium format digital camera has 5:4 and many more! So desireable! But large! And too expensive! Oh dear . . . . I'll just save my money for travelling to interesting places and getting nice prints done.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Sounds like a better plan, Marcus, to save the money for travel instead of spending them on extremely fancy cameras. One thing is good about settling on film, at least, and that would be the very fact that your cameras will not get any more out of date than they already was the day digital was really entering the scene. They will not get any more out of date, and there will really never be any big reason for "upgrading" the thing either. OK, there are different levels of equipment, but everything inside a rather small group. With digital it's all over the place and you can spend a fair amount, or you can spend several fortunes as fast as you are able to enter a four digit pin code. Part of the reason I jumped off the digital era almost before it even started. I bought a very well used D300 back in 2011 but only used it on and off for a few years before I gave it up more or less. I got a small Fujifilm X-pro 1 as well, but I never seem to use that one either. I'm actually thinking about giving it a way to my daughter instead to let it see some use.

      Slett
    2. I also had an X-Pro 1. I liked it, but the autofocus was irritatingly slow at times. I gave it to a friend so he could photograph his model cars.
      One of the reasons I don't save up for and buy a digital medium format camera is because, as you say, they go out of date. And how long will they be repairable? It's too big a risk, really. Anyway, I rarely print larger than 8x12 so medium format is wasted on me.

      Slett
  2. Ah, cameras? Good to know it's not just me, then ;) Completely understandable dilemma we put ourselves in, Roy - I mean, a black Spotmatic? What's not to love and lust over about that, eh? But I think your last line in that paragraph is the Nail-on-the-head line and that's the one I use to myself all the time - 'Film and paper', 'Film and paper',... Well, unless I can get a second 'Blad body going cheap, that is - you know, for when the first one needs a service...just sayin'

    And interesting stuff about those yellow boxes that you send to the bottom of the sea. And the subs to locate them and lift them and what have you. Impressive stuff. As you say, the sky's the limit when you got the dollars for that game. I suppose that's the wrong analogy, given the context, but you know what I mean, I hope ;) Must be doubly nice to load a wee Leica with some old film and get back to reality after messing about with that gear, I should think.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. It sure is, Michael. The Leica has become a more or less permanent inventory on board the ship and on my travels it seems. And yes, it's great to throw a film inside and do some snapping around the area after a long day doing only hi-tech stuff. The brain needs to rest at times, and there is no better way to let it do just that than picking up that Leica, or any other of them pre historic machines I got laying around this place.
      I just checked, by the way... and that Spotmatic is still out there for sale.
      But yes, I need paper and I need some good old lith developer as well, so I should rather get an order in for stuff like that instead. I got some plans, as we often do...

      Slett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime