fredag 28. februar 2020

Steel Wheels

I recently stumbled over a couple of old and exposed films inside the darkroom when looking for unexposed film to bring on board the ship a few weeks back. Got curious and threw them into some HC-110 developer to see what they were all about. 
Found some more or less ruined exposures from the summer of 2018 when we were dry docking the ship in Curacao. Some of the exposures was sort of good, others not so much. It seems I need to add at least another stop of light when I'm using the orange filter on the 21mm for the rangefinder. I'll try to keep that in mind. 

The weirdest thing about Curacao was probably that we still had to pay with the old Dutch currency of Guilder. Oh well... it's not absolutely true to be honest, because this Guilder was the Antillean Guilder which probably was a bit different. 

No.4 
They somewhat reminded me of something from an old horror movie from the 70's these cranes. They were slow walkers though, on their huge diameter Steel Wheels. Using the orange filter seemed to have been a mistake as usual. The skye was a perfect invitation for it though. 
When will I ever learn...?
Leica M6, 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit

Anyway, there was a lot of steel and concrete around the place. At least where we were spending most of our time down there, which obviously was in the dry dock area on the island. It was a huge dock by the way. Our vessel only took up a fraction of the space inside for a couple of weeks or so. 


The vessel on dry land. 
It's always a bit exciting for the chief engineer when the vessel is getting high and dry like this. There's a few bits to think through before they can pull the plug and get the water out of the basin. It never will go according to plan though, because the guys in the dock never seem to understand our needs. They never seem to understand that we're not exactly doing this every week either. 
M6 with 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit. 

There was a lot of cranes around the dry dock. As usual I couldn't resist to point my camera towards a few of them, as I like to snap things protruding up towards the sky for some reason. 

See what I mean? Got the looks of the perfect predator this thing. 
Leica M6, 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit


4 kommentarer:

  1. Wow, those are creepy looking machines. Something from science fiction. Or horror. It always amazes me how large ships stay upright. I guess that's why I'm not an engineer; it's all magic to me, haha.
    I'm surprised the sky went so dark with an orange filter. Maybe it's because you were pointing up at such an angle.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. My orange filter for the relatively big front on the Elmarit 21mm lens is a rather powerful tool for sure, Marcus. A bit too much even, but it is what it is and it is what I got. I might invest in a yellow filter for this lens instead, as I like to have one attached at all times on my 35mm lens for this camera.

      Slett
  2. Great shots, Roy. What a playground that was, eh?

    As you might remember I had some trouble with an orange filter on the 'Blad but not so on the rangefinder. Although I used it a lot at the beginning (always the way with a new toy, isn't it) I've now reverted to mostly UV (for protection) or yellow as the walk-about everyday filter.

    But I think the use of an orange filter in your shots here is fine - it adds to the unreality of the whole scene.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I remember very well your issues with the orange filter on your 'Blad, Michael. In fact it's only a couple of weeks since I checked a bit up on them posts, so they are quite fresh in my mind actually :)
      The orange filter I got for the 21mm lens is a bit on the powerful side to me, but then again I might just be in need of a few short bits of film to check if there's anything I could do with the development of the film, or maybe even let a bit more light through the lens when using the filter. These were of course used with Sunny 16 and two stops of light added just from believing my eyes and all that. Still I know that the light meter on the M6 keeps on being fooled by this filter, as the pictures taken with a functioning battery inside this camera also seems to give me a bit of under exposed frames. I don't know, but I might try to do some adjustments, because I sort of like the effect, but I'm not overly pleased with the results at times. There were quite a few frames on this film in no need of being posted around the internet, to put it that way.

      Slett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime