mandag 24. februar 2020

Planning the holidays, we are

I know, it's way too early to start planning the summer. At least it's way too early for that up and over where I come from. It's getting a bit easier every year though, as nowadays there's only about two of us left involved in the planning, which probably makes you wonder even more why we're starting this early thinking about three short weeks in July? 
Well, it's just because it's required sort of. At least if we would like to get what we want out of the trip. 
We're not going very far, mind you. We're not going to where the weather is warm either. And there will of course be a lot of rain. And fog. Won't see much at all, most likely. And there will most certainly be a zillion tons of midge per cubic meter worth of breathable air. 
But we're quite used to all of that sorts, so we'll be fine we will. 
Oh... and crowds. I forgot to mention the crowds. I tend to forget them until I'm there.
If you happen to be in the area around that time, don't hesitate to give me a shout. Would be great to meet up for a chat and to waste a few frames of film together.

Will go over the sea to here it seems, or at least somewhere quite close. 
Scanned neg taken out of the Olympus Pen EE-3 half frame toy. Ilford PAN 400 in HC-110

Not here we won't go. We've been here some time in the past. Might go again some other time though.
Same film and same camera and developer as above. 

I had a rather short but nice session of developing film this morning. It's been Sunday after all, you know. One was a roll of Ilford PAN 100 saved out of the very tiny little Olympus Pen EE-3 half frame thing, but they were not the snaps shown above of course as the scanner facilities on board is non existent at the moment. I sloshed it around in some (to me) new developer from Foma. Powdery stuff, so easy to carry in the luggage over from Norway. I tell you a bit more about it some other day, of course. The other film was a (hold your hats) C-41 thing containing a myriad of strange bits called colors. In addition it was of very much unknown origin (marked LOMO, I discovered later...). It has been snapped up inside the light tightness of a very nice and bulky (in the right spots) Pentax 67. Oh no, it's not my camera as you might remember from my last post, as I just borrowed it from one of the engineers who most kindly trusted me to carry the thing around the ship for a few days. On the other hand he has been seen strolling out and about with my Rolleiflex in hand, so I guess we're even, sort of.  
The C-41 show-off is nothing but an experiment, of course. As it happen I got a bit more than a few rolls of the stuff inside my cabin on board the ship, so I just need to try my best to put them into some good use, as you will do when you got film that came to you in ways you no longer remember any details about. 
And talking about strange film; I just loaded a 120 size roll of Ilford Delta 3200 into the old Rolleiflex. I wonder what I was thinking, but we will see some other day what came out of it. 

Other than that it's been another one of them quite warm days here way out in the Gulf of Mexico. Strange place to be honest. One day it's freezing cold and breezy, and the next you wake up thinking you have been sleeping on top of a good old coal fire. The sea is calm to moderate more or less all the time down in this area though, with literary no waves at all to speak of. A tiny wee bit different from what we know from back home this time of year, as you might know all about. At least it's been nice and flat like this whenever I have toddled along working in these areas. Hence no wonder actually, the yankees are building their ships with almost no freeboard at all, can you imagine that? Also then no wonder the US supply vessels had a rather short career when they first were brought over to do work out in the North Sea some time around late 60s and early 70s. The poor guys on deck were constantly walking around wet on their tiny little feet, and probably got very well tired of it at some point. 
I don't blame the yankees though, because after all there had to be some Norwegian hot shot who first had the bright idea to bring them ships over. Without lots of further hesitation we started to design our own vessels, a bit more suitable for the conditions present in the North Sea. 
Well... what works in one part of the world does not automatically work in other parts of it. That's for sure.

For throwing plastic and stuff around to be taken away by the breeze and brought around in circles until it hits the ocean and other bits of nature however is a completely different thing, just saying! To actually stop doing that will work perfectly fine all over the globe. Totally true story! 

For some odd reason I seem to like these sorts of features people have dug into the landscape. At least I like to snap them up when they have already been put there anyway. This one was particularly nice with it's cables hanging useless around. Makes you wonder why they have not pulled the thing out of the soil some time ago, actually. Well, I might go that way and try snap it once again as the cables are a lot less visible on the film than I imagined they would be. 
Snapped with the M6 rangefinder with the 35mm some time ago. Yellow filter attached. Film unknown, as more or less usual.

I think I might just as well go try to get some sleep now. 
See you around some other day, hopefully. 
Stay safe!

6 kommentarer:

  1. Great to see you back! Nice photos and thoughts in this post and I'm looking forward to seeing more in the near future.
    Your ship has a place to develop film? Impressive.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Marcus.
      Yes, we managed to put some sort of "lab" together in the engine room area believe it or not. We struggle a bit with the heat, but has found a nice way to get over that little obstacle, so everything works fine now. The third engineer even managed to develop a perfectly nice roll of color positive film the other day with the help of some caustics taken from our bilge water separator... how cool is that? I might write up a few words about that experience some day soon. Might even shoot a roll for myself as well, just for the heck of it. Keep watching this space and I'll keep you up to date on everything :)

      Slett
    2. I guess engineers are never bored. Sounds great. I'd love to see some photos of your engine room darkroom.

      Slett
    3. It's nothing fancy, believe me!
      The dark part of it is simply a tiny bathroom where we got full control of the light switch, and which can be locked with double doors to make sure no light enters the area. And that's it.
      The light part of it is one of our storage areas on board, adjacent to the engine control room. That's pretty convenient as we got a good air condition unit just outside the door inside one of the main switchboard rooms where we can throw the chemistry in to get the temperature down to manageable levels. When that's done we bring them out to a little workbench in the storage area again, throw the chemistry into the Paterson tank and start agitating however much we like... after some time, sometimes more and other times less, the film comes out of the tank. Preferably perfectly developed, of course.
      I'll make sure to put in a few snaps of some details in a future post just for you, my friend :)

      Slett
  2. I'm not sure if I did this before or after you last posted months ago, but I've changed my website to http://marcuspeddle.net. You might be sad to see that all the photos are done by pixel-collecting machines . . . .

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Now that's handy information for sure, Marcus.
      I'll visit you soon for sure! :)

      Slett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime