søndag 1. mars 2020

Went for a hike on a nice summers day

We went for a short but quite nice photo walk, me and one of my mates a while ago. In fact it's getting close to two year since this nice little snap was taken now, and I think it's about time we go for a reunion of some sort. He's a dedicated film waster himself as well, you see. So we sometimes have things in common to talk about. 
Oh, and he used to be working in the same company as me, steering ships in some direction before turning a bit and then go in a different heading for a while, then repeat. 
Nowadays he's a captain on a smaller vessel, but they probably have ten times as much fun over in the part of the world where they are earning their daily crest these days compared to the sort of work I am stuck up doing for some time yet. 
The last thing I heard from him was that he was going west but had forgot to stock up on film. I mean who would travel over to the islands in the west without enough film in their pockets?? 
Beats me...! I heard some very good samaritan on the islands were able to help him out of the mess though, so thank you lots... just in case he forgot all about his manners and stuff and forgot to do so himself. You never know these days with the young folks, but knowing this guy it's probably all sorted by now.

This was taken with one of the rangefinders for sure. I'm not quite certain if it was with the flashy M3 or the black and stealthy M6, but a rangefinder it was! Oh, and it most likely had the 35mm lens attached. It was a very nice day indeed, this summers day in 2018. It was the last picture on the film, so for once I was lucky with that one. 

On this day when the above photo was taken, his ship called into port in my hometown. I picked him up and we drove off to hike up to the Skjonghelleren cave (sorry for the norwegian language only link). It's a quite big hole in the mountain, dug out by nature itself quite some time ago now. It's an interesting place for sure, only a mere half an hour walk from our new apartment. I might try my luck up there with a camera one day if the weather gets better at some point. 

I can't remember exactly what we were talking about when sitting on this wooden bench below the mountain where the cave is, but I can se a thermo flask with coffee, and I can see Stian-René having my Rolleiflex inners wide open and something that looks like a 120 roll of film in his hand. He was probably removing the exposed spool, as this was snapped after we were done exploring the cave. 
My best guess is that we were having a good chat about ships, and cameras, and film and maybe about the old cave up there in the mountain side. 
He probably developed the film a bit later, and found that there was nothing wrong with the camera he borrowed for a few hours on that day. As it happens there is still nothing wrong with that lovely machine. 
Anyway, he's a nice chap for sure, Mr. Stian-Renè.

10 kommentarer:

  1. Sounds like a good day out - and a nice snap to remember the whole thing by, too.

    A twin lens reflex is about the only genre of camera that has eluded my grasp up to now. I can't say I haven't thought about it, but somehow it just never happened. And now I tell myself I don't need any more cameras of any sort. Not that that argument works for ever, as we both know ;)


    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I know you want one.
      Of course you don't need one.
      I still think you should have one.
      I'm sure you're going to seriously think about it a few times yet, but still not run to buy one.
      I'm quite sure you'll get one some day anyway, probably to find out you didn't really need it.

      Oh, and you will of course find it to be one of your very best cameras ever even though you didn't need it.
      That's what I think... :)

      Slett
    2. That doesn't help one little bit, Mr Karlsvik! :)

      Slett
    3. Oh well... I tried my best, mate :))

      Slett
  2. The only person I have to take a photowalk with is a student of mine whom I introduced to film. Whenever we meet I have a digital camera and she's got her Pentax SLR from the 70s.
    I have thought about a Rolleiflex a couple of times but the prices put me off. And I have too many cameras. In fact, I was eyeing them up the other day wondering which ones I could get rid of . . . .

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I totally see your point, Marcus. I got too many cameras as well when you look at it from a photographers view. I mean there's no way you can use more than one camera at the same time and all that bla bla... But then there's the interest in the mechanics of the things, the sound and the feel of them and all those other things which is very subjective and not too easy to explain to people who ask the obvious question; Why? Why do you have a lot of cameras when one usually would do the job? Well, what can one say to a stupid question like that?

      Anyway, your friends Pentax from the 70's would of course probably be either the ME (or one of its offsprings) or maybe even something in the K series? Pentax had quite a few great camera constructions going on in the 60's and 70's.

      The Rolleiflex is something else than most cameras I know of. I might write a few words about it some day, even though a lot have been said about them already. There's always something about saying things in your own words and seen from your own place. Usually people have different opinions due to different use or taste. Anyway, keep watching this space and we will see :)

      Slett
    2. ME sounds familiar. It wasn't a K series camera. About ten or twelve years ago I sold most of my cameras in a fit of minimalism. I didn't regret it, but somehow I now have the same number of cameras again. How did it come to this . . . ?

      Slett
    3. It's because we like cameras, I think?
      Some of us like them to a degree that we can never pass one that seems to be thrown into a bin or sold away cheap. Some people seem to drown in them. I'm not there... yet :)

      Slett
    4. I think in my case it's the belief that a different camera will somehow magically help me make better photos. But, sometimes it's just because I want to have a different photographic experience. Or a smaller camera for carrying around, etc. The reasons are endless . . . .

      Slett
    5. Oh yes they are... just endless!
      My main reason is just the feel and the looks and the different mechanics inside them, I think. I'm way past the point where I learned that any camera can be used to take a great picture, but also it depends a lot who is defining what's a good picture, of course.
      Anyway, I like cameras... I must admit.

      Slett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime