tirsdag 17. mars 2020

The internal innards of the M6

You might not know the exact feeling, but I'm sure it's possible to understand most parts of it anyway.

Not exactly the way you like to see one of your best cameras, but still it had to be done...

When you're stuck at sea due to the world changing by the hour, it is of course very nice to have your camera ready to shoot a few holes in the air every now and then. 
Eventually the moment comes when your film has reached the end, and you do the same trick you're well used to after having hundreds of rolls going through that very camera. You simply start rewinding the thing. Then, after a couple of turns on the crank, an ugly sound and everything is totally jammed. Nothing is moving either way, and it starts to sink in that even the germans seems to have managed to build something that would break some day if pushed long enough. 

Well... as mentioned above, stuck at sea and of course no service technician available unless you got confidence enough to trust the good old "put your Leica inside a bottle and throw it overboard" sort of mail system. Looking down the ships side at the direction of current I soon discarded that option.
As we got the house full of engineers down in the lower part of this vessel, I could do nothing less than bring the tiny tools out on the desk and start the demolition of the camera to try figure out what might be wrong in there. 
I know, I know... red alarm lights flashing and the "don't do this at home" and all of that sorts! It's not something I recommend, but then again what can you do when you're on board, way out at sea, and with no return ticket back home? I might be stuck here for months for all we know. Think about that! That would be a long time just looking at a jammed Leica, I'll tell you that much. 

After a few hours of just looking inside at wonderful german stuff and engineering you'll get a fair insight into what's supposed to go on anyway, but still you don't want to dig too deep into it at first, trust me! When the top cover had been removed I used a lot of time to try figure out what might have gone south, even though it was quite obvious it had something to do with the film transport and wind-on stuff. I used some time on the internet as well to hopefully get a clue, but no real help to find there. Must be a repair manual or at least a drawing available somewhere? Well, google showed me nothing much but a few posts in forums suggesting the people facing the same problem had loaded their film wrongly or had forgotten to release the film drive sprocket wheels or whatever. That was not my case, at least I know that much.

See? In there somewhere there was trouble in the gears and stuff...

Anyway, after a few hours of tweaking, jacking, pointing, talking, some swearing and a little bit of sweating I had the problem fixed. The shutter and the film transport were totally out of sync, and after tweaking a sprocket wheel and doing adjustments to that little thing to make everything aligned I once again had a working camera.
Actually I think I had the problem fixed a bit earlier, but due to a stupid second fault I probably had introduced myself I couldn't find the problem. It took a good walk out on deck and then digging into the thing again before I suddenly realized I might have got something inside the shutter button out of alignment. So when punching the little pin inside the button used for the good old wire release it suddenly worked as it should, and the way I thought it would way earlier in the day. 
Turns out that the release button on the M6 is a very precisely machined little thing, which you don't actually realize until you have put your very strong glasses on. It needs to be mounted just the right way, or it will not function at all that little rascal. 
Well, when you look back on it almost 24 hrs. later it's OK, because that's the way we learn, isn't it? I just wish I had realized a loupe would be helpful a few hours earlier...

Front end. Only some cleaning now, and we were done for the day. 

And heck! I even managed to give the old thing a little internal clean-up as well, as the innards had some light shining on them for a few hours anyway. Seems like time well spent if you ask me. It feels a lot better now, so let's hope it works well in the years to come. 
We will soon find out anyway, because a new film was put inside this afternoon. 
I'll keep you informed. 

See how well it worked only a couple of hours before the big hick-up? It's one of the heroes in the mess department getting ready to wash the floor for the third time that day...

Oh yes, that's how happy you'll get being a sailor, traveling the world and see the sun every day :))

Meanwhile up there in the thin air around the wheelhouse there is painting going on. It might not seem so, but we're talking bright yellow here. Ship yellow, you know, so it's bright believe me!

8 kommentarer:

  1. Wow, you did a fantastic job, Roy! And now I know who to bother when my M6 fails ;-)

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Oh well, Andrea :)
      It might have been pure luck you know... and I'm not too sure about putting my screwdrivers inside other peoples cameras, but then again should it get these symptoms it's an easy enough job when you know what to do. You know where to send it if you're on a budget... and if not, you just send it off to Germany or wherever :))

      Slett
  2. You're a brave man, Roy - not sure I would want to be doing that to my M6! But I understand you were between the proverbial rock and the hard place, so well done. I'm impressed!

    There's a bit more circuitry inside that thing than I expected, truth be told. I know there's a meter and of course that means it has to read the current setting of the speed from the dial (and of course aperture from the lens), as well as the light coming in, but even so. But then I'm thinking those snaps it are bigger than real life size, so perhaps it's not too bad now that I think about it. Still, makes you wonder what the insides of a current pixel-snapper might look like...scary, I should think - and probably completely unrecognisable. At least you were able to get this baby working again - I doubt it's possible to even open up a modern camera, let along stick a screwdriver into it and get things working again...

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanks for the comment, Michael :)
      Stick a screwdriver inside a pixel-snapper and it will give you nothing much but sparks in return I guess :)) Nah, that's nothing to deal with for a man used to stuff working by mechanics and not electric power and zeroes and ones and bits like that.
      There is a fair bit of circuitry inside the M6 for sure, but I think that's due to this being the TTL version. I once peeped inside the classic version, and I seem to recall there was a lot less electronics inside that one. It's probably a good thing after all...?!
      I am indeed very happy to have it working again. It was well worth the effort for sure. Then again I had to make it happen because you just can't whack open a Leica, do stuff inside it and then deliver it to some professional repair man and expect he will not have questions coming your way pretty quick... :))

      Slett
  3. I admire your technical skills. My equipment gets sent to a repair shop. Like Michael, I was surprised to see a microchip and so many wires. But I have no idea what goes into a light meter, to tell the truth.
    Thanks for sharing the adventure. Some of us have to be clever vicariously.

    SvarSlett
  4. Thanks for your comment Marcus. This was a bit outside my comfort zone I have to admit, especially with no drawings or any other guidance on the journey. But as there are not too many repair shops available in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico it had to be checked if something could be done.
    There was probably a bit of pure luck involved in actually figuring out that the thing simply was out of sync and at the same time find the right gear wheel and being able to do the right adjustments to it.
    I didn't expect this level of electronics either to tell the truth, but luckily I didn't have to touch those bits and bobs :)

    SvarSlett
  5. Sometimes it takes an outside influence to break through our self-imposed barriers. I'm in the midst of a similar story with my Nikkormat. In my case it's not COVID19 quarantine but a case of having more cameras than dollars....

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Oh yes, more cameras than dollars is of course another issue and will probably get more real than we like to think about come the nearest future... Luckily these old mechanical cameras are possible to fix after all, which is a good thing of course. We might need a set of donor cameras for parts of course, but it will still be possible.
      The Nikkormat is a lovely camera. I got a couple of them working very well and I really like them. Not too tricky to work inside either, probably?

      Slett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime