torsdag 12. mars 2020

Oh yes, I have been waiting for this the last couple of days...



I'm over here, as you might know. Over the sea, in the USA. Not where the picture was taken obviously, as I'm actually about 250 nautical miles out in the Gulf of Mexico at the moment. The snap was taken on-shore, as there's nothing much to see right here but the ocean and a ship or two every now and then. 

They just closed their borders to the USA they did. Due to the damn virus spreading fast, which I got no problems of understanding of course. 
What is worse is that I'm here and have no way of getting myself back over to what I call home as I obviously can't get my back to back over from Europe and on board the vessel when the day of crew change come in less than two weeks from now. 

There is no way of telling for how long this is going to stay this way, and there is no way of telling what the folks responsible at the office and such is going to do with this tiny little issue. For them it's only a question of cost and money, of course. For me it's a bit different... 
We might be able to go somewhere else when the job is finished weeks from now, but by then I guess every border to every country will be closed, which would mean I'm here until the situation has been stabilized. How long is that, you think? A year? Less? 
I might exaggerate, I see that now. But it's hard not knowing, I tell you that much. 
I got things to do at home as well, you see... Life is more than just work. 

Thanks heaven I brought on board a lot of film and quite a bunch of developer for this trip. 
I might have a brand new series started right here and now.

To be continued!

6 kommentarer:

  1. Hmm...that decision is going to have tremendous consequences for an awful lot of people. Hopefully, hopefully it won't be for long, Roy and you can get a well-deserved break back home for a bit to recharge the batteries.

    In the meantime, as you say, keep snapping and keep writing - inbetween the less important stuff, of course ;)

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I'm a bit afraid there will be consequences we have yet not even thought of, Michael. But what else can we do but hope and wish for those little viruses to just drop dead and vanish as soon as absolutely possible.
      Looking realistic about it doesn't give me much to jump in joy about, but that's a different matter. Let's pray I'm way too pessimistic for once!! :))

      Slett
  2. Good luck -- and I hope you see home soon.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I really hope so myself as well, Jim. Thinking a bit realistic about it makes it look a bit dark on the horizon though. We can't get ashore yet for a couple of weeks, and who knows what this has become by then?! Anyway, I can't do anything but hope, so that's what I got to do :))

      Slett
  3. I hope you can get home soon.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you, Marcus!
      This afternoon there was some rumors saying that USA is letting sailors through to join and go home from vessels, but who on earth can say if that's nothing but a vague memory in about one week from now? The situation seems to be different every two hours, so I'm not going to try to predict what's happening one and a half weeks from now. That's for sure!
      I really, really hope I can get home though... of course I do.
      I'm not extremely optimistic about it though.

      Slett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime