fredag 26. mai 2017

A few more 365 snaps then

As you know I'm doing a 365 on film this year. I'm using an old and quite well beaten Nikon F3 and decided to go for Ilford PAN400 film. So one camera and one film, one snap each day for the full year. I have not yet snapped the one for today, but when I do it will be #146. I have them all noted and taken care of inside one of my notebooks, you see. 

I have already started to think about doing something similar for next year, but don't mind to tweak the fundamentals a wee bit. Any suggestions of cool things to do, anyone? It must be on film though, and prefereably B&W since that's what I do... at least 99,8% of the time or something like that.

Oh well, I'm just talking... as usual.
Here they are, so please enjoy if possible.

#044: 
The Rather Troublesome Chain Block. The one which has caused me quite a lot of grief up through the last five years or so... I say nothing more about it!

#045: 
Muster Station #1. A familiar sight for the chaps belonging to this muster station on board the ship. My place is on the other side, but I pass this place every day anyway as it's pretty close to where my cabin is. I try to do a daily short walk you know, before I go to work. It's nice and fresh out here, usually.

#046:
It's the lighthouse in Scrabster, up very far north in Scotland you know. We had a crew change here this day, and then went straight back out to sea for a job of towing stuff from the bay just north of Wick. A "bundle", they told me. Luckily we didn't have to tow anything, only check that the thing went the right way and at the right depth and stuff like that. 

#047:
And here it is. A snap from Wick bay looking towards the hill above the small town from the north side. You can see the lighthouse and even parts of the airport if your eyes are somewhat like they used to be back in the days. I've been landing up there more than a few times, but it's been a while now. We were waiting here for a day or two until the towing of the bundle was started. Had to get the 3km long thing launched into the sea and everything, which took a while as you might understand. They don't just dump these things into the water and leave us all to it, as the price is a bit on the heavy side when it comes to stuff like this.



2 kommentarer:

  1. What's the 3km thing, pray tell...sounds intriguing!!

    SvarSlett
  2. The "bundle" is (at least in this case) a long bunch of cables captured inside an outer shell, connections made in both ends probably. It's equipped with floats and sinkers and equipment to adjust the depth during the towing operation. This was a short bundle just a few yards over 3000 meters long. They have been making and towing out bundles as long as 7500 meters, but according to the Offshore Manager I spoke to that was a bit tricky because of all the different depths the thing went through all the time. It's about temperature, salt layers, current and you know... a bunch of physics and a long equation I would think.
    Further (again according to the Offshore Manager on board my ship) they now want to try to make two 7500 meter bundles, connect them on-shore and tow them in place out at sea.
    Nobody on board any vessel seems to look at that as a good idea for some reason...

    SvarSlett

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime