onsdag 30. august 2017

Kentmere 400

I bought a ten-pack of Kentmere 400 a while ago. Got it from over in the UK somewhere, I think. I also bought a tenner of Kentmere 100 as well, but I'll leave that one for another day. I never liked the K400 too much, and think I've mentioned it before as well around this place somewhere.
Anyway, by the time of leaving Glasgow heading for west of Ireland a few weeks ago I grabbed a roll of K400 as I thought I would give it another go, and threw it inside the Nikon FM2 as it was a rather typical scottish day. Gray and grainy, if you like.

A real old fashion scrapyard with a lovely looking old crane to really make the scene worth snapping. I think I got a hundred or so of this scene snapped during the days in Glasgow not too long ago, but what the heck... you need to explore the surrounding area, don't you? At least that's what you have to do when you got no chance of going anywhere further than just around the ship. Nikon FM2 with the absolutely fantastic Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 lens I've had for something like 25 years or so. And Kentmere 400 film, developed in Paranol S 1:25

Previous attempts have been giving me all sorts of not so good results, but this time I really feel I somehow got the looks I've been aiming for all the time with this film. It was snapped with the Nikon FM2, and I had a battery inside and used the light meter quite a lot through the roll just to try having things a bit under control for once. The whole thing was set up to box speed, as I usually tend to do with most films if I'm not pushing it a step or two. This time it was definitely not pushed as I usually would go for a HP5+, Tri-X  or even PAN400 for those sort of things.

Same scene, same camera and film. Damn seagull had to fly just a couple of meters too low, but I was not going to wait for it to take another round to position itself exactly where I wanted it...

Anyway, as we went away down the river Clyde out from Glasgow I snapped into more or less any direction and forgot about the whole film until just a few days ago when I finally got my stuff together and started developing my rolls.
As I've been out of decent developers for a while I just recently had some stuff bought over in England. A bottle of Kodak HC-110 just because I like it and because it's way too expensive over here in Norway, and then I also brought with me a couple of small bottles of Paranol S by Tetenal, just because AG Photographic was out of Rodinal (or Adonal, as it's not actually called Rodinal anymore... as we know) when I payed them a visit.

Old warehouses or whatever, at the bank of the River Clyde in Glasgow. This made me want to play a bit with lines and stuff, but I had to work way too quickly as the ship moved rather fast down the river. Crazy folks on the bridge and things, as usual. 

So, back home and ready to start developing a bunch of rolls, I went for the Paranol S just to see what it looked like. I've never tried this mierda before, so I was a bit excited about it to tell the truth. Not because I thought I would notice too much of a difference compared to Rodinal and similar developers, but more because of the fact that I've never tried this particular developer before. I found it to be a rather nice one, truth be told, so I might try it with a few other films as well. But then again I just have to, since I got a couple of bottles of the stuff. 
I've tested it with both FP4+ and now also Kenmore 400, and I must say I'm very pleased with the results this far. The Kentmere roll seems to have come out better than any earlier attempt, I must say. Makes me wonder about how HP5+ will look when washed in this stuff. We will find out soon. Maybe even tomorrow by the looks of the weather right now.
Anyway... more to come a bit later. 

Same warehouses from the other side. As I said, I had to work very quick to hopefully get what I wanted. Luckily I didn't have to run inside and down to the engine room during the trip down the river. 



2 kommentarer:

Feel free to drop me a comment about anything, anytime